There are a number of the reason why you would possibly need to reinstall macOS (and even Mac OS X). Maybe your Mac is operating erratically and also you assume a clear set up of the working system would possibly repair the issue.
Alternatively, you could be planning to promote your Mac or go it on to a member of the family (by which case you must erase it first and return your Mac to manufacturing unit settings).
It is even doable to reinstall the model of macOS your Mac shipped with, which could permit you to revert to a earlier model of the working system if the newest model bothers you.
No matter your purpose for reinstalling macOS, here is one of many best methods to do it.
Our technique entails utilizing the restoration partition via which you’ll reinstall the newest model of macOS you put in in your Mac. As a result of macOS is generally put in through Software program Replace (or beforehand through the Mac App Retailer) , there aren’t any bodily set up discs, due to this fact Apple has made it doable to put in the working system over the Web utilizing Restoration HD.
An alternate choice can be to create a bootable set up of macOS on an exterior drive. In case your Mac will not boot into restoration mode, learn this: Mac cannot entry restoration mode.
You might also discover this handy: Tips on how to do a clear set up of macOS utilizing a bootable drive.
Tips on how to reinstall macOS through Restoration
- Instruments Required: A backup (should you’re cleansing up the Mac), an Web connection, a community with WEP or WPA safety
Again up your Mac
In case you plan to wipe your Mac as a part of this course of (both since you assume a clear slate would possibly repair the issues you are having, or since you’re promoting the Mac), you would possibly need to again up your necessary paperwork first.
The way you do that will rely upon whether or not you need to get your Mac again to the identical model of the Mac working system, or should you had been hoping to do a clear set up. For instance, if you wish to return to a earlier model of macOS, you do not need to again up with Time Machine. For extra suggestions, learn: Tips on how to backup a Mac and one of the best Mac backup software program.
Take into account that should you have a tendency to make use of iCloud Drive to sync all of your paperwork and desktop to the cloud, chances are you’ll not want a backup, however be certain that every little thing is in iCloud earlier than you delete it!
Erase your drive (Mac M1 and M2 collection)
In case you plan to promote or switch your Mac, or if you wish to carry out a clear set up of macOS to resolve issues together with your Mac, you may need to erase your exhausting drive earlier than reinstalling the working system.
In case you’re operating macOS Monterey or later macOS on a Mac with an M-series chip, or an Intel-powered Mac with a T2 chip (some Macs from 2018), there’s an easy solution to erase your Mac that does not requires you to make use of restoration mode and disk utilities. When you’ve got an Intel Mac, you may must observe the steps under to erase your drive earlier than you’ll be able to start.
We element easy methods to wipe your Mac utilizing this technique in a separate article, however here is a abstract:
In Ventura or later:
- Open System Settings.
- Click on Normal.
- Select Switch or Reset.
- Choose Erase all content material and settings.
- Enter your password
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on System Preferences within the menu bar on the high of your display.
- Click on Erase All Content material and Settings.
- Enter your password.
The remainder of the method is similar:
- You’ll be reminded to again up with Time Machine earlier than beginning the deletion, however you’ll be able to skip that step.
- A window will present you what can be eliminated, together with Apple ID, Contact ID, equipment, and Discover My settings.
- Lastly, you have to to signal out of your Mac and all providers associated to your Apple ID.
- Earlier than your Mac is erased, you may get a ultimate warning, so should you’re doubtful, you’ll be able to no less than cease at this level!
- After clicking the second Erase All Content material and Settings, your Mac will restart. You’ll finally see a black display because it reboots.
- As soon as your Mac restarts, you’ll be able to observe the steps to set it up as new, or you’ll be able to depart it at this stage for the following proprietor to arrange. Simply shut down the Mac first.
Sadly, in case your Mac would not have Monterey put in or would not have a T2 or M-series chip, then you’ll want to use Disk Utility to take away your Mac. Observe the following two steps to do this…
In case you’ve already erased your Mac, the following step will present you easy methods to enter restoration mode.
Enter restoration mode
The method for coming into restoration mode will depend on the Mac you might be utilizing.
On a Mac with an Intel processor, you will need to maintain down the Command and R buttons throughout startup till you hear the startup chime and see a spinning globe or the Apple emblem.
On a Mac that makes use of Apple’s personal processors, such because the M1 or M2 chip, enter restoration mode by urgent and holding the facility button as your Mac begins up and proceed to press and maintain the button till you see a window seem of startup choices with an choices icon. Then choose Choices and click on Proceed.
A macOS Utilities window, just like the one above, will open with choices to revive from Time Machine backup, reinstall macOS [version], Safari (or Get On-line Assist in earlier variations), and Disk Utility. The next move will depend on whether or not you’ll want to erase your Mac earlier than reinstalling the working system. If you wish to erase your disk, click on Disk Utility (in any other case you’ll be able to skip the following step).
Erase your exhausting drive (Intel Macs with out T2 chip)
When you’ve got a Mac with an Intel processor that doesn’t have a T2 chip, you’ll be able to take away your Mac’s exhausting drive utilizing Disk Utility accessed via restoration mode (you need to entry the drive via Restoration as a result of it’s not doable to delete the drive if you end up accessing it).
- Choose Disk Utility from the choices in restoration mode.
- Now choose the amount you need to erase. You might must click on View > Present All Drives earlier than you’ll be able to see the amount. Observe that the method right here is barely completely different should you’re operating macOS Catalina or Massive Sur. In case you’re not operating Catalina, you simply must delete the Macintosh HD quantity. In case you’re operating Catalina or later, there’ll most likely be two volumes named Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-Information (or presumably House and House – Information). You will have to delete the info quantity first, after which the Macintosh HD. We cowl how to do that right here: Tips on how to Erase and Reformat Your Mac. Do not forget that it will delete all of your information, so ensure you have your necessary information backed up or saved within the cloud or on an exterior drive.
- The following step additionally will depend on the model of macOS you are operating. In Catalina, Mojave, Massive Sur, Monterey, and doubtlessly Excessive Sierra (relying in your Mac) will probably be APFS. However on older Macs operating earlier variations of macOS, the format ought to be set to Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled). Additionally, you will must have GUID Partition Desk chosen because the Scheme. (You will not see the Scheme choice should you solely have the amount chosen.)
- Click on Delete and wait. (There are alternatives in Safety Choices that permit you to securely erase the drive.)
- Now select Disk Utility > Give up Disk Utility. Or simply Command + Q.
Observe these steps to reinstall the newest model of macOS put in in your Mac:
- Return to Restoration and select Reinstall macOS from the listing of choices.
- Click on Proceed.
- Enter your Apple ID if obligatory and wait whereas macOS reinstalls. Count on this to take some time.
- In case you intend to promote or switch the Mac in order that the following proprietor can enter their very own particulars, when the setup wizard begins, exit. In any other case, observe the directions to proceed organising your Mac.
Tips on how to reinstall a earlier model of macOS
If you wish to return to a earlier model of macOS, maybe since you’re not within the newer model you have put in, there are a number of methods to reinstall a earlier model. We cowl them individually right here: Tips on how to set up earlier variations of macOS or OS X.
How to connect with the Web in macOS restoration mode
To reinstall macOS utilizing restoration mode, you should be linked to the Web. Observe these steps to connect with the Web in restoration mode in case your Mac hasn’t linked routinely:
- Click on on the Wi-Fi menu within the higher proper nook of the display.
- Choose a Wi-Fi community.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password (if obligatory).
Restoration mode ought to now be linked to the Web and in a position to obtain the macOS set up software program.
If you’re utilizing Web restoration, you will need to use a community with WEP or WPA safety. This should not be an issue like most residence Wi-Fi networks do, however should you’re on a proxy or PPPoE community, you may have issues.
How to reinstall macOS | Macworld